In South Africa the government’s direction, as we begin to open up the economy, is: “Industries are encouraged to adopt a work-from-home strategy where possible, and all staff who can work remotely must be allowed to do so.”
Since most businesses were forced, at short notice into remote working, now would be the time step back and put measures in place that can help your teams keep working remotely successfully.
If you have not already collectively decided on your Remote Work Operating Principles now may be a good time to do so. These could include things like:
– when everyone is expected to be available online
– what tools you will use for communication & collaboration
– a clear rule on not multi-tasking during virtual meetings
– how to use your enterprise social network (ie MS Teams)
– what project management software you will use and how
Creating documented operating principles together — ie getting buy-in from everyone on the team — is a crucial element in the success of a remote working team.